Between a Rock

and a H’ard Place

Ramblings of the mind, body and soul


Ultra Running Races (71-3)

-run h’ till it hurts..then run some more.. 

Here is a list of races I have run over the years.  Many more adventures at similar distances that were "fun runs" are not included here.

1. 9/11/99 - Bulldog 50K - 3000' climb, 3000' descent - 36th place, 5:46:36

2. 11/27/99 - Santa Barbara Nine Trails - 35 miles, 5000' climb, 5000' descent, 7th place 8:42:

  1. 3.2/17 -2/20 2000 - Coyote 4 Play - 4 days

So at a I did 120 miles (Chris the Race Director announced the extra mileage beyond the advertised mileage at the dinner).  I did not keep track of all the time but the Race Director says my time was 27:03 with a 13:30 pace.  This is one awesome event.  A total of 51 runners with options to go as far as you wanted.  Overall race results can be found using the above link are arranged by total miles. I had the 6th highest mileage and was considerable behind the top 5 when you look at minutes per mile pace.   Below is an excerpt from an email I sent my brother describing the last 2 days of the event:

Well, as I sit hear with my feet up on the desk with sore muscles I look back on the last few days at the C4P and wonder why. 

The 40 miler (actually 43) in Pt Mugu was spectacular.  Great weather, awesome views, good company and encouragement from the trail crews and runners.  Rob, you can get into this.  It is about 1/2 running and half hiking (fast hiking).  You harness the gravity any chance you get.  I followed some veterans (dudes who do the 100 milers) of the sport to see how it is done.  These people are amazing.  Some were army special forces and SEALs in their 30s, others were men and woman in their 50s, and most of them kicked my ass.  This one guy was 60 and had a license plate "IRON LEGS".  This was an understatement. 

On the Saturday 40 miler, I was at the back of this one pack of guys and was playing catch up at mile 38.  I turned it on for the last mile and sprinted to catch the runner in front of me. With cheers from the crowd at the finish line I was pushed even farther, deeper and the cold sweat and chills of adrenaline kicked in.  The runner in front turned around in surprise to see me right on his heels.  We both raced to the finish and finished within 1/2 second of each other.  It was something I will never forget.

The hardest part of the weekend was waking up at 4:15AM to run the last day. The weather was cold, raining and windy.  The 7am start time at the beach was delayed for 1/2 hour.  We started up La Jolla Canyon in a mud fest.  Heavy clay content in the soil tripled the weight of my shoes.  The sprint from the day before was now talking to me with pain in my left foot. I think I bruised it in the downhill.  I hooked up with 3 other guys and ran with them for the next few hours.  'The weather turned really bad.  Driving rain 40 mph winds pushed, pulled and soaked us.  I had lots of foul weather gear but some of the hard core guys just ran in shorts and shirts.  I split up with the pack and ran alone for a while and arrived at the aid station.  I was spent.  I had 4 miles back to the car for a 13 mile day, or 15 more for the 30 miler.  I opted for the short way back.  I headed down the trail and was unsure which trail to take.  I saw a coyote or mountain lion (too far too tell) in the distance.  Also found out  I was on the wrong trail.  Two other runners arrived that I had been hanging out with over the past few days, and said "come with us".  I opted for the additional 5 miles.  This was a spectacular trail.  It took a line above PCH with a view of Pt Mugu with storm clouds over the ocean.  The rain and wind was ripping 40-50 miles per hour.  It was epic.  It was more epic for the lead runners we saw that were about 1/2 hour ahead of us on the top of the ridge where it was even windier.  We continued on down to the finish line in the rain.  It was an 18 mile day in about 6 hours. 

We were greeted by wind flapping tarps, loud music, burgers and beers.  The party was just kicking in.  The weather never let up (actually got worse).  We waited for the hard core crowd that finished the 30 miler and cheered them on at the finish.  We finished up with awards, freebie give-aways and "thank-you's" to the race director and support crew.

4. 4/15/2000 - Leona Divide 50 Mile Run - 5000' climb and descent - 30th place, 9:15:36 (14th in age group out of 32)

                        Total number of finishers: 113 out of 142 starters

This was a well run event.  Aid stations were well organized and plenty to eat.   The course run 40 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail and is well maintained.

Started out at 6AM is 40 degree weather in a cloud.  The wind was whipping and I was shivering.  I couldn't wait until the bang of the saw blade.  We all took off and ran into the wind.  I warmed up after a couple of miles and saw a familiar face in the crowd.  I ran with Laurie for a while and then picked up the pace.  I spent time running behind the lead female runner for a while and then saw another familiar face.  Craig from C4P was running with me for a while.  I continued to aid station 1 and took off up the hill and lost some time when mother nature called.  The up hills were reasonable and I kept pace but did walk some spots.  The terrain was pretty as the clouds passed through the canyons.  A few more aid stations later and I had 20 miles behind me.  The course rolled over many mounds and it was easy going.   At the turn around point I took too much time and lost 3 places.  I continued back on the trail and it seemed longer on the return.  On down to the aid station in the pines and then to the road.  Then the climb back up the mountain.  This was tough and I rung out with 'Rico' and a few others.  We talked and walked.  I hung back thinking I will save it for later.  As we topped out, "later" arrived and I kicked in and passed a few people.
As I approached the fire road I was not sure how much farther to the finish line.   Again I held back keeping the other runners in striking distance.  Around a bend and I saw the finish line.  I started to pick up the pace, but so did the others.  I lost some time on the downhill due to blisters and lost some ground.   I tried to catch the next runner but wound up finished 33 seconds behind him.   I did however qualify for the Western States 100 race in 2001.   We will see if I am going strong to handle this next year. 

5. 8/5/2000 -Pacific Crest Trail 50 mile trail race   (12:50:23) 23rd place

An out-and-back route on the Pacific Crest Trail from Boulder Oaks to Penne Pines in the Laguna Mountains. Course is about an hours drive east of downtown San Diego. Over 6500 ft. of climb, and rocky ! Elevation range is 3500 to 5900 ft., 10 aid stations.

UGGH!  This was the hottest weather I have ever run in and the worst race performance of my ultra running adventures.  I was dehydrated throughout the race.  Losing my cookies at mile 20 and falling at mile 25 and 45 was the telltale sign that this was not my best race.  Things to change next time:  eat a better dinner the night before, each a better breakfast, stay with e-caps and trash the other electrolyte pills I had, keep motivation high and don't be discouraged, eat more food at aid stations.

54 Starters, 28 Finishers, 52% Finishing Percentage

6. 9/9/2000 - Bulldog 50K - 3000' climb, 3000' descent - 17th place, 5:18:00

This is the first ultra race I repeated and have found that my performance has improved since training.  I cut a full 28 minutes off my last year's time.  I also moved up from 36th place to 17th place.  For some reason I thought my last year's time was 5:15 and was racing to beat that time.  I blasted the rocky downhill coming back from the top of Stunt Road on the Backbone Trail and felt strong through the remaining part of the race.   Bill Duley, my running coach from Future Track was clocking in the finishers and gave me congrats on my race.  This was a good prep, physically and mentally for the upcoming Angeles Crest 100 in 3 weeks.  More on that later......

7. 9/30/2000 - 10/1/2000 - Angeles Crest 100 Endurance Race - 28:31

My first 100 mile event.  What and adventure, not to mention the journey to get there.  I wrote the account below to a friend that encapsulates the experience:

I did it.  28:31 was my time (note it is posted incorrectly on the AC web site.  It was an awesome experience.  My crew of Maria, Mike and Sook were awesome.  The encouragement from my fellow runners and friends was also a great help.

Also Maria paced me from Chilao to Chantry and my climbing buddy John paced me to the finish.  I had some moments of fatigue and a sour
stomach but managed to keep everything down.  After running previous ultras I thought I knew how I  would react to this race but I have learned so much more running this race.

I have been re-counting the race in my mind all night and been meaning to write it down.  It is a little long but gives you a sense of my experience:

Some of the high points and low points:
-Starting line:  Lots of positive energy, seeing the trail of lights going up the mountain was cool.

-Baden Powell climb:  motored up this mountain.  There were 5 guys all behind Vickie Devita.  It was like she was the locomotive and we were her
cars.  It was inspiring as Vickie has added much to this sport.  Even if I had the energy to pass her I would have held back out of sheer respect.  I
should have had 3 bottles for this section.

-Mount Williamson and Cooper Canyon - very hot.  Kept moving but it took its toll.

-Cloudburst to Mount Hillyer - Kept a good pace despite the heat.  Walked the Sulfur Springs road and lost time.  The technical downhill to Chilao was fun and very well marked.

-Chilao to Shortcut- Lost 3 pounds at weigh-in. My crew was awesome here. new shoes, socks, Ensure, fruit, encouragement.  I got cold from sitting down and "bundled-up" until I got warmed up on the trail.  My stomach went through some fits but I was able to hang in there and keep moving.

-Shortcut - Newcomb Saddle to Chantry- This aid station was top notch. Chicken soup was awesome and breathed life into me.  I held back on the down hills thinking I needed to save it for the end of the race.  I was slow through this section and it took forever to get to Newcomb Saddle.  Maria and I were running/walking with others and we enjoyed the company.  I hit more rocks with my toes on the Chantry trail then I could count (who needs toe nails anyway).  But we kept running...We started to pass the cabins and I picked up the pace feeling I was almost at the aid station.  Funny how knowing how much farther to aid energized me throughout the race.

Chantry to Idelhour- Great aid station at Chantry, Met my pacer John and was looking forward to the hardest part of the race.  Chicken soup was great and I tanked up for the climb.  John and I powered up the climb.  It reminded me of some of the backpacking trips John and I had done in the past on non-maintained trails.  This trail was steep!  We moved at a good pace and maybe stopped once.  I ran low on water and at the top of the climb had a few more miles to Idelhour Aid Station.  This was the hardest part of the race for me.  I was low on energy and was not up to running this rocky fire road section.  In retrospect, I should of had 3 bottles for this section.  I could have run this and powered down the GU.  Idlehour aid
station appeared and was a great site to see.  More Chicken soup, fruit, GU and I was ready to rock. On to the last big climb.

Sam Merrill Trail was relatively easy and John and I motored this section. Before the aid station, the sun came up and we didn't need lights any more.
The daylight brought me a new-found sense of purpose and energy.  I looked up at the aid station banner and it said: "89.25 miles........its all down
hill from here"  I was psyched.  I stretched out my muscles in the first 1/4 mile and started moving out on the trail down to Echo Mountain.  With 2 guys just behind us; I turned it on and by the time we reached the Mount Lowe Train road we had put a 1/4 mile on them.  This was a great feeling of accomplishment as I had saved my quads for this and the finish which was almost upon me.   We ran with great strides into Millard Campground and tanked up for the run to the finish.

As John put it: "I could smell the barn".  As I dropped into the final canyon (Prieto Trail) I was fully amped.  I took that trail faster than my
prior training runs.  I hit the road and continued my strong run all the way to the finish line.  As I passed people, all kinds of congratulations from
strangers and finally at the finish line, cheers from the crowd and my crew  A tremendous feeling of accomplishment consumed me.

Finishing a 100 mile endurance race was I goal I set over a year ago.  I was not sure what this journey would bring me.  In fact it is the journey that
makes me full of life and purpose with the race as a end of one chapter and the beginning of another.   I look forward to more journeys in the coming years.

8. 11/25/00 - Santa Barbara Nine Trails - 35 miles, 5000' climb, 5000' descent, 10th place 8:32:50

Another beautiful day in Santa Barbara.  I was 20 minutes ahead at the turnaround only to lose 10 of that on the way back.  The pavement section did it to me again.   This is a continuous section that I should have made better time on.  Once again I needed to eat more during the run but did not.  Thank god for GU.  I probably lost another 5-7 minutes coming back down from Inspiration Point.  I was making good time and came across a runner that was cramping badly.  I asked if I could help.  I gave him a few salt tablets and told him to empty it under his tongue for the quickest possible absorption.  Also gave him so Advil.   I continued on from there at a good clip and finished the race strong.  The hardest part of the race was recovering.  I ate too much soup, drank too many soft drinks at the finish line and lost it.  It wasn't pretty.  The drive home was a challenge as well as I was quite tired.  I pulled over to rest and be safe.  Thanks to my family for taking care of me after the race.  Recovery is crucial after this kind of event.  

9. 3/15 - 3/18/01 Coyote Four Play 4 days, 128 miles, 12:22 pace, 26:23:00

Another great event in the Southern California Mountains.  See the link above for details.  2nd place (Stan didn't run and that is the race directors sense of humor).   Check out the pictures of me singing "Light My Fire"...  Amazing what too many miles will do to the brain.  I help set up the course in Pt. Mugu and had a 150 mile week after it was over.  Great people and times and sorry to say this may be the last C4P.

Some highlights I will never forget:

-Pruning and marking the trail before race day(18 miles finishing at dusk)
-Racing down Ray Miller trail battling it out with Craig...
-Hammering down my home town trails with some great runners
-Red ants at the trail side log (pun intended) pit stop---ouch
-Karaoke - Light my fire...and who's bra was that anyway?  Come on baby...
-Delivering a racer snake to the RD
-The Ridgecrest Crowd....need I say more... you guys and gals are great
-New friends and just the pleasure of running in an awesome setting
-Running and sitting in the snow cooling down in the Ojai Mountains
-Discovering that running in silk underwear reduces chafing
-Looking over my shoulder for akabill..... you are one tough dude
-Jaboy hospitality

10. 4/14/01 Leona Divide 50 Mile Run - 9:13:48, 40th Place

Although I beat my last year's time but this was harder than expected due to gastro problems.  Also this was a new course and hard to compare with the last year's course.  Had a good time and the trails were in great shape. 

11. 8/4/01 PCT 50 - DNF

This was my first 'did not finish'.  I hesitate to even write about this but it was something to learn from.  This race was a scorcher!  The temperatures were 95 - 100 with wind acting like a blast furnace coming off the desert.  I made it 31 miles and bailed at the aid station.  I think this was a smart move.  I felt dehydrated and weak.  One must know their limitations and I felt I would do more damage if I continued.  I hitched a ride back to the finish line and rested in the shade.  It was even hotter at the finish line acting like a vegetable in my lawn chair..  I felt I was really spent.  I had a hard time eating and carrying on a conversation.  Unlike the prior year at the race, where I actually did complete the race, I decided to spent the night in San Diego instead of drive home.  This was a smart move.  Chalk this one up to experience...  

12. 9/8/2001 Bulldog 50K - 5:22:40, 16th place;  2nd in age group 40-49;
 130 started, 118 finished

This was my 3rd running of the Bulldog. I was much more relaxed for this event.  I felt strong throughout the race and took things in stride.  The downhill run from the top of Stunt Road was a blast.  I just love the technical boulder hopping in this section.  The course did change from prior years.  There was a section added on the ridge that added about a minute to the race.  Also the stream was high and required the wringing out of my socks at the next aid station.  Taking these course changes into account I think I matched my time from last year.  The recover the next day was better as well.  I recovered by taking a 30 mile road bike ride in the hills.  After I warmed up I felt great.  This is the last race before the AC100.  I am ready to rock.  

13. 9/29/2001 - 9/30/2001 - Angeles Crest 100 Endurance Race - 31:26:49 
154 registered, 119 starters, 64 finishers

This was my second 100 mile race and I still have much to learn.  My finish time this year was almost 3 hours slower than last year.  But as I have come to learn even though I have run this course before, conditions change and it is a whole new ballgame. 

So I started out strong despite a poor night's sleep and felt good on the climb up Acorn Trail.  Watching the sunrise glow over the desert reminded me of last year's race but unlike last year when I could share this with a fellow runner I was all alone.  This was to be the order of the day.  Into the first aid station and the Ridgecrest bunch cheered me on. I was feeling good.  The climb up Baden Powell was steady as I watched the other runners behind me.  Jennifer Johnson, the first place women's finisher was right behind me and she helped push me to the top. The run off of Baden Powell felt great.  I breezed through the technical sections and managed some long stride running in the smooth sections.  In retrospect I think I hammered this too hard.  More on that later.  My only official crew member, George, met me up on the ridge and he took some photos and offered me encouragement.  As a long time climbing, biking, hiking partner I was glad to have George on my team this day.  

As I was running down toward Islip Saddle, I was startled by a flash of light... no this was not a hallucination (too early in the race) but Larry Gassan (Mr. Trail Safety) taking a picture with a flash camera.  I shared a few words with Larry and moved on.  I weighed in at Islip and found I was 7 pounds under.  No Way!  Stan Jensen ( asked if I had done the race before and encouraged me to drink up.  I did both and replied my base weight on my wrist band was totally wrong and I never weighed that much.  Stan also commented on my race number (#69) as many others did during the race (great number...try wearing this upside down...). As I ran past the aid station volunteers I shouted: #69 OUT.   

On to the Mt. Williamson climb.  This was one hot climb and the beginning of the long hot middle section of the race.  I started the climb and Jenny was behind me.  I asked her if she wanted to pass but she declined.  It was only a matter of time.  As we reached the top, I stopped to tighten up the shoes for the downhill.  I finished this section alone and got my mind ready for the even hotter Cooper Canyon.  At Eagles Roost, George helped with the water bottles and Rick and Barb Miller cooled me down with a ice spray bottle.  I wonder if Rick used this during his finish of the Badwater Race this year.  It worked for me.  Rick is part of the Ridgecrest OTHTC (Over the Hill Track Club) and along with his other running buddies a great bunch of people that I met at the Coyote Four Play.  That's one of the reasons I am drawn to the sport and what keeps me coming back.

I was doing well through Cloudburst Summit at mile 37 despite the very warm conditions in Cooper Canyon.  Over 1/2 hour faster than the previous year.  This next section of the race I started to have some stomach problems.  By the time I reached 3 Points I was pale and looked tired.  Not a good sign especially with the long and hot Sulphur Springs Road coming up.  I tanked up with 3 bottles and was on my way.  I ran with Howie Stern from Mammoth for a while as we had met on a previous trail run and chatted during the briefing.  I slowed down at the road and took a breather.  The climb up to Mt. Hillyer was long and hot with an occasional gust of wind. 

As I arrived at Chilao, I weighed in again and was 7 pounds under.  I changed socks here only to find a blister brewing.  The aid station volunteer taped me up.  Once again I had to tank up on fluids and food.  I was fine until that ice cold drink of water.  This shocked my stomach and caused me to reverse the eating process until I was on empty, really empty!  The two medical check people were great. Also Chris Rios and his friends from the OTHTC were extremely supportive.  I downed some Tums and tried to replace the lost nutrition.  This was the first time I considered dropping.  George was encouraging yet concerned as he has never been to a race like this in the past. I am not sure how much time I spent at the aid station but it was time put up or shut up.  It was only 6 1/2 miles to Shortcut.  Time to suck it up and move on: I shouted: #69 OUT  that was followed by a round of applause and well wishes.

I started out slow with the chills and flashlight in hand.  The downhills in this section were catching up with me as my quads started burning.  My legs felt good going uphill as I topped out at Shortcut.  I pulled up a chair next to Hal Winton the race director and chatted for a while. I mentioned to Hal that I would not PR in this race this time.  He replied "Every race can't be a PR but you can still finish and accomplish your goals".  Hal was having a good time and he even broke out in song...  stick to running Hal..  This was the point that my crew, George, would leave me.  He was to pick up my pacer John at the finish line and take him to Chantry Flats.  George was visibly concerned for my well being.  It was a long way to Chantry (15.25 miles) and about 40 miles until the finish line. I too was considering whether I should do this or not.  I decided that I could make it to Chantry but the downhills would be the challenge. So George walked me to the trail head, I thanked him for his fine crewing skills and friendship and off I went.  #69 OUT

On the road to Newcomb Saddle I tried hanging with other runners and could not keep the pace for any period of time.  This was another lonely part of the course for me. I watched the ribbon of lights below me as I weaved down the fire road.  The climb up to Newcomb Saddle was longer than I remembered from last year but worth the trip as the aid station at Newcomb Saddle had the best Teriyaki chicken.  This hit the spot along with the chicken soup.  I felt much better as I left for Chantry.  #69 OUT

I took this section slow due to the unsure footing and blown quads.  As I approached the bottom of the canyon I heard the welcome yet faint sound of my pacer's "woop woop" sound.   I wooped back and we met up on the trail about a mile out of Chantry.  John had already been briefed of my condition.  

At Chantry we powered down soup, potatoes, and bananas.  I was tired.  I fell asleep in my chair.  The aid station volunteer said "we have cots over there if you want to get some rest".  This was the third time I considered dropping.   She continued, "you should start moving if you want to get out of here".  I had heard of many runners dropping at Chantry.  This hit home and got me up and ready to move on.  John was ready to lead the death march up Mt. Wilson.  #69 OUT

As we headed up the trail I felt very sleepy and was tripping over rocks.  I took a short 10 minute cat nap and was revitalized.  It was 4AM when I woke up.  The climb up Mt. Wilson was steady but slower than last year.  As we topped out on the ridge we looked down on Los Angeles sleeping.  I thought of the millions of people in their beds and the fact that I have decided to spend my time doing something different, something that makes me feel alive, something that extends the limits and does not come with a guaranteed outcome..  

As we ran/walked down to Idle Hour we were passed by a few guys.  This motivated me to keep pace with them.  As it turned out the pacer was the husband of a co-worker.  Small world it is.  We talked about his introduction to the sport and his passion of physical challenges. On to Sam Merrill.  #69 OUT.

I started to get my strength back on the climb up Sam Merrill.  The sun came out and baked us on the last switchbacks. We were nice and toasty for the aid station. More chicken soup and bananas.  Less than 11 miles to go.  #69 OUT

We picked up the pace coming down Echo Mountain chasing Duke, Catra, and Mike. They were led by a pacer we ran into earlier that was looking for a runner.  He was entertaining and motivating.  I am sure he has a military background.  We all ran/ hiked together through the Sunset Trail (AKA "The Oven").   By the time we got to Millard we passed some people but still had to chase down a few runners. On to the exposed fire road in the noon time sun.  The heat and humidity continued to be oppressive as the storm clouds started building over the mountains. We cut off into the Prieto Trail and got the last bit of shade in the race as the trail rolled in and out of the oak canopy.  The last mile and a half follows a dirt road that turns into pavement.  

As we past through the JPL parking lot I met up with the two aid station medical check personnel that helped me out in Chilao.  They greeted me with smiles and congrats.  They said they were wondering if I recovered from my troubles higher up in the mountains.  They were as glad to see me as I was to see them.  We all hugged with mutual admiration and my pacer and I moved on to the finish line.  Running through the finish line was a deliverance of mental and physical challenges.  I displayed my American Flag attached to my water bottle for the finishers picture in memory of those who went through much greater adversity than this race could ever dish out.  After picking up my finishers tee-shirt, thanking Race Directors Hal, Ken and others for a great race, I went to the Mess Tent and sat with my head under the cold water spigot.  I poured cold water over my body for a quick cool down.  AHHHHH.

This was the toughest race I had experienced to date.  Were it not for the encouragement, talent of aid station crews and friendships the sport has given me, I would have had a tougher time finishing this race, if I would have finished at all.  

As with every race I learned something.  Here is a short list of things to do differently:
-spend more time training for long downhill runs
-take more electrolytes on a defined schedule
-don't drink cold water after eating at an aid station
-beware of the gag reflex
-treat blisters early and tape up chronic hot spots
-eat more gel
-enter more ultras to prepare for your next one. 

14. 12/9/2001  OTHTC High Desert Ultra 50K 4:35:38 - 25th overall out of 198 runners

I had a great day in the desert running among the cactus and the granite boulders.  This was my first time at this race and found that this ultra has more running than most.  No big hills to "rest" on where you can power walk.  I think there was about 100 yards of walking from aid stations while eating.  Other than that is was 32 miles of running.  Next time I will not dump my warm clothes at the second aid station.  The wind picked up and I was cold through the next 15 miles of the race.  Only toward the end did I warm up.  Overall a great event.  Thank you to Chris Rios and the OTHTC for a fine event and an after event "party" at the local Mexican Restaurant. 

15. 3/12 -3/17 2002 - Coyote 4 Play - 5 days, 160 miles

Just another great event at C4P.  Click on the link above for the details. 

16. 4/20/2002 - Leona Divide 50 Mile run - 9:36:35

Tough race that had my stomach in stitches.  Managed to overcome the mental barriers and finish the race.  

17. 12/8/2002 - OTHTC High Desert Ultra 50K 4:49:16 - 42nd overall out of 184 finishers

I can't believe I missed the last turnoff and got off route at this race.   I was doing so well up until then.  Oh well, the race is never in the bag until the end. 

18. 2/18 - 23/2003 -    Coyote 4 Play - 6 days, 197 miles

This was the last and the best C4P ever.  Started out leading and marking trail on the 2 day Scrub Run (38 and 31 miles) of the  Santa Monica Mountains Backbone TrailGreat weather and trail conditions.  The support crews met us at key locations where we crossed some of the main roads.  3 of us (Phill Kidoo and Robin Kane and I) made it the whole way.   From there it was on to Point Mugu State Park and the 7 miler warm-up up LaJolla Valley to the Overlook Trail and then down the fabulous Ray Miller Trail.  I finished in 59:59 says RD Chris Scott.  

Next was on the the Ojai Mountains for the 50 Miler.  Great course designed by Bill Key.  Some tough hills but still finished in 10:41.  Saturday was the 40 Miler in Point Mugu and felt strong and finished in 8:41.  Then on Sunday with some good hills like Hell Hill, Chumash Trail, and Mugu Peak bagged the 50K at 6:29.  

Include partying with the runners each night including a night of Bowling and you have one great event unmatched in the Ultra Running Community.  Look for other versions of the C4P popping up in your neighborhood.  

19. 4/26/2003 - Leona Divide 50 Mile run - 9:07:03  20th Place  121 Finishers, 138 Starters

The race was great until about 35 miles where my stomach started to get sour.  At mile 40 it was worse.  Managed to keep things down.  Got to the final downhill and I got this weird side stitch.  Not sure what that was about but it cost me a few minutes.   Overall a good race and my best time to date.   

20. 6/28-29/03 - Western States 100 - 26:57:19 - 146th Place - 272 Finishers,  400+ Starters

The trail ascends from the Squaw Valley floor (elevation 6,200 feet) to Emigrant Pass (elevation 8,750 feet), a climb of 2,550 vertical feet in the first 4½ miles. From the pass, following the original trails used by the gold and silver miners of the 1850’s, runners travel west, climbing another 15,540 feet and descending 22,970 feet before reaching Auburn.

A great trail and an incredible adventure.  Just getting to the starting line was gratifying but the real work began after 50 miles.  I described the event to a group of leaders I spent a week with in Colorado Springs at a seminar.  Here is my note to them:

Well CCL team of Leaders, it was quite the adventure...I finished the race strong and pleased with the experience even though I did not make my goal time. I'll give you the short version. I am still working on the long one: I was running well at 24 hour pace until I got a small blister at Last Chance (mile 43). Then going up Devils Thumb I got behind pace due to some gastric problems and dehydration. I hung out at Devils Thumb, had some food, water and recharged only to lose my cookies before leaving the aid station. The Aid station volunteer looked down at my feet and said "not too much food there.... you'll be fine". Five minutes later I was out of the chair heading down the trail. At this point my muscles had gotten real stiff and it took a good 15 minutes to be able to run in stride.

Next major aid was at Michigan Bluff and I had my crew there. They were great. Tanked up on food, water and felt alive. This next section was a long down hill followed by a longer uphill. I ran this section with the founder of the race "Gordy Ainsleigh". He started this race 30 years ago. We shared a drink at a spring coming out of the mountain. This is one tough guy in great shape and a true inspirational visionary. On to Foresthill (mile 62) and met my pacer Sook. My crew was there ready to help. I stopped at their camper and got some new bandages on my blister and tanked up on a great burrito. It was tough to stomach but I really needed it. With about 45 minutes left of daylight we headed down the trail. I was energized. We were making great time passing lots of people on the downhill.

When we broke out the flashlights our pace slowed considerably. In retrospect we should have had better flashlights. This section of the trail was more uphill than I remembered and eventually it came down to the
American River after 2 aid stations. At the American River Rucky Chucky River Crossing (mile 78) there was a rope we had to hang on to a cross. The water was waist deep and refreshing. On the far side of the river we got some dry clothes but zoned on the fresh flashlights that would be a costly mistake in a few hours. I stashed my
fanny pack to save weight. The next few miles were slow and frustrating. I had to have kicked 3 dozen rocks on the trail. Unfortunately only about a dozen of them actually moved. I now have the dreaded "black toe disease". I
got cold at the next aid station and ran the next section with a space blanket.

I was going in and out this blurred vision thing for a while that I can't fully put in words but it was pretty weird.  At about this time (3AM) our flashlights dimmed and we were lucky enough to get spare batteries a few miles down the trial at the aid station. Finally dawn came upon us. As soon as I turned off the flashlights I came alive again. The last 15 miles were awesome. I got my stride back and again started passing runners. Ran into Gordy again and was told by his pacer it is bad luck to pass him. I hung back for a while and then passed him to his pacers disappointment.
At Hwy 49 I met my crew again. They were as happy to see me as I was to see them. I came into the aid station strong and left stronger. On to No Hands Bridge that crosses the American River. This is less than 4 miles to the finish and could "smell the barn" but still had to walk the bridge to take in the historic significance and buzz of the moment.
A few more hills on trails and one more on pavement (8-10% grade) and I was on the final down hill to the track at the High School. I entered the track in full stride to the cheers of the crowd. One of my crew was there but the two others were sleeping as they did not expect me until later.
With hands in the air I crossed the finish line at 26:57

This was an amazing race in that I had highs and lows and had to dig deep at times. The people, runners, aid volunteers, my crew and race organizers were incredible. Very accommodating and always willing to help out. There were also some very talented runners. I met many friends from prior runs. Had lunch with a bunch of runners including Scott Jurek the winner of the race. This guy is amazing, with 5 consecutive wins at Western States with each year improving his time. He is a humble and nice guy. If you have Runners World, he is profiled in the current issue. On a sad note, his dog Tonto died one day before the race. 

Recovery is going pretty well but still have black toes, some numb spots and swollen feet. I had some easy recovery runs today and yesterday. Why did I do it? It is the challenge of trying something that has an uncertain outcome. It brings on experiences that are rare and raw. The people you bond with during these moments and the preparation that precedes it is a precious gift. It is not only the race to the finish line, but the journey to the starting line.

Not sure what is next... but I am looking for a new goal.........Western next year!!!!  (update 12/5/2004... did not get picked by lottery for a spot... I will have to find another 100)Heart Rate and Altitude from the race 

21. 7/26/03 - Baldy Peaks 50K - 7:33:37  12th place 77 starters, 65 finishers

A good race to let me now that I can still run and keep the food down.  I worked on my nutrition and breathing a bit differently with positive results.  Was well motivated by my fellow runners.  Post Race the quads are sore and recovering quickly. 

22. 9/6/2003 - Bulldog 50K - 3000' climb, 3000' descent - 30th place, 5:59:15

NOT a good race....I was running fine for the first climb and big descent.  Then up to the top of Stunt Road.  I was in 10th place at Piuma Road Switch back.  Began motoring up the trail and the heat kicked in.  I popped Electrolytes but apparently not nearly enough of them.  About a mile from the aid station at the top of Stunt Road I had a horrendous cramp in my thigh.  In all my years of running and hiking I have NEVER had this experience.  A very humbling feeling when you can barely walk......I rubbed it out and stretched.. popped some more electrolytes and I was OK but much slower up to the aid station.  

The aid station had a new twist...a water hose for a cool-down.  This felt great.  I downed some banana (the aid stations were weak on food).  As I started running back down the cramp cam back.  Another sit-down on the sideline.  I was bummed.  Once again the cramp subsided and it was back on the trail.  I lost lost of time and places in this race.  I figured it was not a PR day and took it easy.  The climb up the Spur trail connecting Tapia Park with Malibu Creek State Park was a hot climb with a nice refreshing downhill and flat to the finish.  Not one of my better efforts but an education...  More electrolytes would have helped.  The Tuesday mountain bike ride just before the race was not in my taper plans but well worth the ride.  Heart Rate and Altitude from the race 

23. 11/29/03 - Santa Barbara Nine Trails - 35 miles, 5000' climb, 5000' descent, 104 started, 16th place out of 51 finishers.    7:37

I felt exceptionally well at this race.  I attribute this to a new nutritional approach.  I was running with Perpetuem Energy drink from Hammer Nutrition.  This is a fat and protein supplement.  2 scoops per 20 oz. of water. Every 6-8 miles.  Also Succeed caps every hour.  My energy level was high for the duration of the race (#410).  This finish time would have get me in the top five or ten a few years back.  There were many fine runners in the race this year.  This was my PR for this course.   My best time for this race had be 8:32.  I finished shaving 55 minutes from my previous best effort and I felt much better at the finish line.  No aching stomach, no gremlins or aliens running through my calf's trying to get out, no heaving.  The drive home was a breeze and I even stopped to have dinner on the wharf in Santa Barbara.  I fine day at one of the best Ultras in the country.  Heart Rate and Altitude from the race.

24. 12/7/2003 - High Desert 50K - 24th out of 194, my watch was 4:33:42 but the RD had problems and clocked me at 4:35:18.  Mine is correct!

Another fine race on the heals of SB 9 Trails the prior weekend   I did PR this race and felt pretty good.  The headwinds were horrendous on the race that finally abated only after the hills.  I stayed on trail this year and finished strong.  Recovery  took longer than expected but a week later I am back to form.  Heart Rate and Altitude from the race.

25. 2/17-22/2004 - Coyote 4 Play -  208 miles for the week - not enough room here to describe the fun.  

This is something that you have to experience.

26. 4/24/2004 - Promise Land 50 K - 6:34:37 50th place

This was a recovery run from a serious hamstring injury at a worthless 10K race.  I was guarding my injury all day until I tripped on a root buried in the grass of a fire road.  What's up with that.... grassy fire roads.  This east cost running is a bit different that local runs.  Had a great time on the run and scenery was spectacular.  

27. 6/26/2004 - Western States 100 - 25:42, 107th out of 370 runners with 278 finishers.

The trail ascends from the Squaw Valley floor (elevation 6,200 feet) to Emigrant Pass (elevation 8,750 feet), a climb of 2,550 vertical feet in the first 4½ miles. From the pass, following the original trails used by the gold and silver miners of the 1850’s, runners travel west, climbing another 15,540 feet and descending 22,970 feet before reaching Auburn.

This was my second time running WS and I had a few goals in mind: 1) finish the race, 2) beat last year's time, 3) break 24 hours.  Well I achieved the first 2 goals but the 3rd slipped through.  My strategy this year centered around a liquid and fruit diet pre-event and on race day.  This consisted of fruits like mangos, bananas, nectarines and avocados. The energy drinks of choice were Perpetuem (Hammer Nutrition), Boost, Ensure and Metabol Pre Race (Champion).  This helped settle my stomach down and kept energy levels high throughout the race.  Also did some gels (Hammer, Clif shots) but should have done more of them.

The race really started back in December when I was picked by lottery.  I trained hard for C4P (see above) with the goal of peaking in February.  I ran well at Coyote and felt training in the following months would be just right to prepare me for WS.  I had planned to run Leona Divide 50 miler in Mid April as a check point to gauge my fitness.  Then disaster struck!

I had been putting in some road miles and felt I should try a 10K (The Great Race of Agoura).  I had an ongoing battle with my friend Bill and this was the chance to finally beat him at a 10K.  Let's just say I won the battle but lost the war.  A hamstring pull nagged me from mile 2 through 6 and kicked in at the finish line.  I was out of commission.  I could not even do a recovery run.  In retrospect the prior week's activities revealed the problem: Tuesday Yoga Class over-stretched the hamstring, Wednesday through Friday travel to 4 airports in 3 days, lots of sitting and no running or stretching, Saturday, inadequate warm-up for the fast pace out of the gate.. BE WARNED.... 10Ks can be detrimental to your Ultra Running Career.

I immediately went for Physical therapy.  A local road runner Brett Darrington DC, set me up with some rehab and exercise routines to get me back in shape.  I was bummed but determined to beat this thing.  I cancelled my attempt at Leona Divide and focused on running a 50K (Promise Land) the following week.  This was a humbling run but helped to build some hope in my WS running. 

I re-injured my hamstring twice following this race by tripping on some rocks on the trail.  I turned to Road Bike riding to build strength and cardio. This helped a great deal and soon I was back on the trail and getting my stride back.  After a couple of 70 mile weeks I had the Memorial Day WS training run and the Scott Jurek Beyond Running Camp coming up.  I felt I was ready for that then disaster struck again!  On the morning packing for my trip up north I strained my lower back.   I could barely move let alone run.  Not sure what brought this on but I was going anyway.

The drive up was epic and popped more Advil than I would admit.  Got to camp and met the other runners.  I had to go for a short run to see if I was able.  To my surprise all worked but ever so slowly.  As it turned out I would loosen up over the following days and put in a 100 mile week.  Scott and Leah offered great assistance to my recovery.

The next week I took it easy and cranked up mileage (60+) for the next 2 weeks.  Then taper time.  Yipee!  

 I arranged to stay at a cabin in Alpine Village with 2 other local runners (Willie and Steve).  Count down to race day for me started when I left the house on Wednesday.  Drove to Virginia Lakes and went for a short hike then drove to Tahoe. I was exhausted.   Willie, Steve and showed up at the race briefing the next day, my crew and pacer (Micah White) showed up Friday.  We were set for race day.

UP AT 3:30 AM!  Shower, eat, pack up the cabin and GO.  Time flies this early in the morning.  The buzz in the air was electrifying.  At 5AM the starting shotgun went off and so did the runners.  I walked up the big hill with little bit of running.  Over the top, I looked over my shoulder to see the sun rise... awesome....and into the wilderness area were I began the 23,000 feet of downhill to Auburn..... not to mention the 15,000 feet of uphill.

My hamstring started to talk to me but remained silent after the 20 mile mark. I took it slower than last year to ensure I didn't stress the hammy any more than needed. I think over the race I just worked out the scar tissue and it repaired itself.  I was thankful this would not be a limiting factor.  I also took it slower than last year thinking I would save it for the end.  

Met my crew (Micah) at Robinson Flat (mile 24.6).  Dropped my hip belt and went light to meet Micah up on top of Little Bald Mountain (28.6).  It was cooler in this section than I remember and within an hour I was putting the hip belt back on.  Some guy was filming me as I was making sure I had every thing for the next 30 miles.  Some stranger helped clean my sunglasses and popped out my lens. I thought he broke them but he jammed it back in.  I started running and reached up... "where's my hat?"  Micah came running up with it and I was off. next aid I will see my crew will be at Michigan Bluff (55.7).  

Off to Deep Canyon (33.7) up and down the fire road then to Dusty Corners (38) and Last Chance (43.3) where I had my drop bag.  At each aid station I refilled both bottles, the larger one with water, the other one with my Perpetuem drink. 

I was heating up and my strategy was not to push too hard on the downhills so I was fresher for the uphill and my body temperature was not too high when I started to the climb up to Devils Thumb.  Heading up to Devils Thumb (39 switchbacks and about 1700 feet of climbing) my Adductor muscles inside of my thighs started to twitch.. twitch turned to spasms and was walking in pain.  I attribute this to not drinking enough on the down hills and I should have doubled up on my intake for electrolytes.  Now trying to make up for lost hydration and electrolytes I could not swallow the capsules.  I resorted to breaking the capsules and putting the powder under my tongue.  After 40 plus minutes and near the top of the climb I managed to get running again.  I did not hang out at the aid station although I was 3 pounds under starting weight.  This aid station was epic last year with gastric problems and leg cramps so I checked in at 3:13 PM and got out quickly.  This was only 17 minutes faster than last year.  I had to start moving. 

Another LONG 5 mile downhill and into Eldorado Canyon.  Another hot descent and I reached the bottom at 4:30 PM Friday followed by a long hot climb up to Michigan BluffMet my crew at Michgan Bluff at 5:51PM.  This was a a Party Zone, Music, Food, lots of people.  I saw some really strong runners I expected to see in the top ranks walking with their crews back to their cars.  They had packed it in.  Heat stroke and cramps took the best of them.  

Another 6 miles to Foresthill where I will pick up my pacer the fire roads I ran in training seemed much steeper in this section.  I was walking these hills and cooling down.  The last  2.5 miles of the section was some steep trail and pavement.  I ran most of the pavement and was glad to finally get to the highway leading to the aid station. After weighing in at medical check where I regained most of my weight.

Now Micah and I took off down the California Trail.  We were making good time and I came alive with the reduced temperatures, some nutrition and good company.  The next set of aid stations came quickly and we motored down to the river.  We stopped at the nearside (mistake) at 11:42 PM and I took in some tomato Juice and sat down (mistake).  In retrospect I should have just weighed in and crossed the river.  I wasted at least 10 minutes here.  The river was crotch deep and refreshing.  Footing was easier due to the fact that glow sticks were place underwater to see where to put your feet.  We yanked on the cable and made it to the other side without incident.  Changed shoes and socks at a nice platform next to into Lynn Sh...and  Ms. Gu.. from C4P.  Nice to see a familiar face.  They were in great spirits as was I.  On to the dusty fire road leading to Greengate.  

My leg speed decreased here and stride got shorter.  The trail rolled and rolled.  The up-hills began to look steeper than I remember them.   We forged on trying to press the pace.  I went in an out of motivation at this point.  I had been watching the 24 hour pace and I was consistently at least 40 minutes behind the pace at the last 5 aid stations.  I had not been making up the time I needed.  This time gap continued through Browns Bar aid station at 89.9 miles.  

We hit Highway 49 at 93.5 miles and found out that I was 1 hour 20 behind.  Did I get stuck in a time warp of something.....  This was depressing and at that point I knew that 24 hours was not in reach.  So I took a more gentle pace and took in the sites.  Most inspiring is getting down to No Hands Bridge.  I walked the bridge to take in the wind, smell of the river and energy that permeates this location.  I was just 3.2 miles from finishing.  I knew I beat last year's time and was please with that result.  This last section climbs up some steep singletrack and paved roads.  I focused on looking for the landmark that represented...."it's all down hill from here" and there is was.  The white fence of an overpass that led down to the school.  I picked up the pace as I saw this and was ready to enter the track.  After 3/4 of a lap to cheering crowds I crossed the finish line at 6:42 AM in 25 hours and 42 minutes. 

The Finish Line and a hug from my pacer and crew.  Awards followed and I was await for them this year.  

Recovery for this race was the best yet.  After my 7 hour drive home I power walked for an hour.  This was followed by cycling and running all but one day that week.  This active recovery was the best way to return to normal after a long race like this. 

Thanks to my family and friends for the support and encouragement to get to the starting line and get through the race.  

Heart Rate Monitor Graphic for WS100 2004

28. 11/27/2004 - Santa Barbara Nine Trails - 35 miles, 12,000' climb,   8:30:19 30th place

Not one of my best efforts at this race.  Taking a wrong turn down San Ysidro Canyon and wasting 15 minutes was a bummer.  Also the rain started with about 3 hours left in the race.  I was really cold.  John gave me a plastic bags that I thought could work but it was too small.  Lots of mud and slippery conditions on the last part of the course.  Still a fine day out on the trails.  

29. 12/5/2004 - OTHTC High Desert Ultra 50K 4:22:34 - 2,500 feet of gain on sandy trails. 

19th overall out of 288 finishers, 4th in age group 40-49

A fine race that was a personal best.  Cold day on the trail and thankfully no wind.  The best part of the weekend besides the race was it was Rick Miller's 50th birthday party.  A fine day on and off the trail.

30. 2/22 - 27/2005 - Coyote Four Play - 194 miles - lots of climbing, 43:03 over 6 days

Another fine year with some epic weather on the Scrub Run. Torrential rains, mud slides, hail in Topanga Canyon, deep stream crossings added to the fun.  100 runners this year with a strong field of world class runners.  Too much to describe here.  You will just have to experience it for yourself.  

31. 5/7 - 5/8/2005 - Massanutten Mt. Trails 100 Miler - 101.8 Miles - 28:25:25 - 18,599' elevation gain on rocks

           A total of 143 starters, 93 finishers (65% finish rate), 26th place overall, 8th in my 40-49 age group.

This was a great venue and very well organized event.  Virginia Happy Trails Running Club did a superb job.   I had Derrick Carr pace me from Gap 2 aid station to the finish.  I had my challenges at night with sleep deprivation and concentration (why were those rocks moving before I stepped on them?).  Once the sun came up I woke up and had a strong finish.  A first class event that any hardened ultra runner should try.  See this page for more about the event.  Heart rate and elevation profile.

32. 8/27-28 2005 - Cascade Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run - 100 miles - 26:53  -  21,000'+ elevation gain

96 Starters, 69 finishers, 27th place, 32 hour cutoff

A challenging course with lots of ups and downs.  Steep climbs and quad burning descents.  Had some issues early (mile 30) with hydration but with the help of reverse consumption, friends on the trail and a great crew I came "back from the dead".  Finished strong and in great spirits.  Special thanks to Jack, Brian, Ric, Dawn and my excellent pacer Bruce Grant.  You all rock.  Heart rate and elevation profile. Pictures from Glenn and Walter

33. 11/26/2005 - Santa Barbara Nine Trails - 35 miles, 12,000' climb,   7:45:xx 12th place

A good day out on the trails.  This was my 5th  running of Nine Trails. I hydrated well,  worked on eating as I was climbing the steep fire roads, took electrolytes religiously.  The weather was cool most of the day except for some of the exposed climbs and windless canyons.  The last 4 miles were strong and I was thankful for the road training I had done that followed many of my trail runs.  Good pace to the finish.  Heart rate and elevation profile

34. 2/21 - 26/2006 - Coyote Four Play - 195 miles - over 6 days

It just gets better.  Great weather window opened up for us to take in the trails.  The Scrub Run was pefect and I managed to take my best buddies Bruce and Scottie on the Bonus Round down the Boney Mountain Trail.  A nice 6 mile addition to the 67 mile 2 day tour of the Santa Monica Mountains.  The remaining days were tougher than normal since I had the start of a cold and was talking an octave below normal.  By weeks end I kicked it but not before the trail kicked me.  Finished strong on the 50 K day with a great party at the finish.

35. 4/22/2006 - Leona Divide 50 Mile run - 8:47:34  21st Place  140 Finishers, 165 Starters

A very good race for me where I beat my best 50 mile time by 20 minutes.  Nutrition was very even and gave me the energy I needed throughout the race with a minimum of low points.  Kept an eye on the heart rate in the early part of the race.  Could not keep it as low as I wanted I but did ratchet back my pace to save energy for the finish.  From the turn around I managed to pass quite a few runners.  Arrived at the last aid station with 40 minutes to spare to break 9 hours with 4 miles to go.  I hammered the first mile uphill with a favorable tailwind and then the downhill that followed. Finished that section in 27 minutes (6:45 mile pace).   I crossed the finish line with a yell and very happy with the finish time.  Favorable weather conditions with temperatures in the 50s with some chilling winds and some rain sprinkles made this a good day for many people.  Both the men's and women's course records were broken and my personal record as well.

HR monitor chart

36. 5/28 - 6/3/2006 Gobi March   7th overall out of 70 finishers, 77 starters, 6 days

What an awesome event in a great setting.  I have got to do more of these.  A bit different than your typical ultra in that I ran with a pack for 6 days carrying all my food, clothing and supplies.  The RD just provide water and shelter not to mention a hell of a lot of challenging running.  I had a great collection of tent mates including my high school bud Jack.  This was his first race ever!.  I mean the first time he pinned a race bib to his chest.  Not only was it his first race but he recovered from broken back and neck along with serious medications just a couple of years before.  I was so proud to see him finish this thing.

37. 9/9-1-/2006 WASATCH FRONT 100 - 30:46: 60th Place  151 finishers (65%) out of 230 starters

It was a tough race.  My plan was to runabout 28-29 hours.  I was on my plan until about mile 60.  The down hills were incredibly steep, rocky and loose.  This demanded heel plants and a very discerning foot placement.  I went around and  locked gate at night before Brighton Aid Station and I tripped over a 1 inch steel cable that hit me right in the shins. That along with favoring my left in the downhills caused a shin splint type pain.  I tried to change my foot placement strategy then the other shin started to talk to me.  I slowed down on the down hills but kept pace on the uphills and some of the flats.  The last 20 miles were tougher than I expected and the minutes for a 30 hour finish (different belt buckle) slipped away as I had to walk some of the steeper downhill sections.  Finished in 30:46.
Views were incredible and race management did a fine job.  Not my best effort but a lesson in being self sufficient and mentally focused due to deciding on not having a dedicated crew and not having a pacer as I have done in the past.

Still a bit sore.  It will be a couple of weeks for the shin to heal up.    No sense in rushing recovery...  gives me a chance to reconnect with my family.. 

Pace chart and aid station card

38. 11/25/2006 - Santa Barbara Nine Trails - 35 miles,  12,000' climb,   8:27  25th place out of 125 starters and 83 finishers

A good day out on the trails with a new longer section added to the course.  This was my 6th  running of Nine Trails. I reached the turnaround behind my expected pace due to the longer course.  I hydrated pretty well but could have consumed more calories (I always do that).  I ran with Luis up to the Gibraltar Aid station on the new section of trail and then on the pavement to the single track. There were three of us together and it was time to put the hammer down.   At that point I passed Luis and said, "let's do it and rip this baby".   I started down the trail with a new sense of vigor.  I listened to the footsteps behind me and that got me going faster.  Ten minutes later there were no other runners to be seen.  The terrain got super technical and I love that stuff.  I kept looking over my shoulder all the way to the finish line.  Got my long awaited hug from Patsy the founder of the run.  Another fine day on the trail followed by a nice sushi dinner in Santa Barbara. 

39. 12/2/2006 - OTHTC High Desert Ultra 50K 4:27:05 - 2,500 feet of gain on sandy trails. 

20th overall out of 198 finishers, 6th in age group 40-49

A fine race that could have been my personal best (5 minutes off PR pace) if I was less social.   No regrets!  I had a fine time chatting with fellow runners and even got a pictures and a hug from Barb Miller's mom Sig at one of the aid stations.    Cold day on the trail and thankfully no wind.  I really like this event and the new RD Terry Mitchell did a fabulous job.

40. 1/16/2007 - Calico 50K Ultra    5:01:14 - 4,600 feet of gain on sandy and rocky trails, 9:44 pace

        10th overall, 3rd in age group 40-49

 A good race in freezing temperatures.  It was 18 degrees at the start and never got above 45 throughout the run. Great views in the stark landscape.  90% of the hills were run-able but it wore on my after a few hours.  Fun technical section after the high point.  I had some some good competition and a number of paced each other during the race.  Also managed pass 2 people in the last 3 miles but was passed by some young guy with 100 yards to go on the steep uphill.  Jack my friend ran his first 50K and he did very well and exceeded his expectations.  Here is the link to the run on

41. 2/20-25/2007 Coyote Four Play - 188 miles - over 6 days

The final installment of a fine event.   I will truly miss C4P, running it, helping organize it but most of all I will miss the gathering of the great people I have met over the years.  I will see many of them on the trails at races across the globe.  We will have a common bond and will think back about the great times we had. The Last Howl was a great way to end this legacy.  Thanks to Chris Scott the founder of C4P and my cohort in crime in puttin on this event.  On to other adventures.

42. 4/21/2007 - Leona Divide 50 Mile run - 10:42:07  79th Place  137 Finishers, 165 Starters

 I ran this race with my friend John since this was his first 50 miler.  I hung out with him most of the way except for the down hills that I just love on this course.  Also got to aid stations to make sure I got him the right stuff to move him in and out of the aid station quickly.  Easy day on the trail since my last finish time was almost 2 hours faster.

43. 8/19 - 8/25/2007 - Atacama Crossing - 38:49:12   5th place, winner of 40-49 age group

A great Chilean adventure on some very challenging terrain through salt flats, slot canyons, streams, san dunes, rocks and dirt roads.  Amazing trip where you carry everything except a tent with you for the entire race.  The pack does get lighter as you go.  I started with 23 pounds and finished with 11 pounds.  Great camaraderie among the competitors.  Race was put on by and they did a superb job.  This was my second of the 4 deserts put on by Racing the Planet.

Stage 1   05:28:00

Stage 2   06:55:45

Stage 3 06:54:45

Stage 4 07:05:45

Stage 5 11:05:03

Stage 6 01:19:54

TOTAL 38:49:12


44. 11/24/2007 - Santa Barbara Nine Trails - 8:30:50 35 miles, 12,000' climb,   8:29  22th place out of 82 finishers

Another fine day in the Santa Barbara foothills.  I had little training for this run since my hours at work had just been insane.  I clocked more hours in the last month then I have ever in my career.  It had been heads down since I got back from Chile.  Any boo hoo hoo for me, I just need to shut up and run.  The day started out with a chill and quickly warmed up as I shed my layers.  I make it to the Romero the half way point in 3:50 feeling pretty good.  The temperatures were rising fast and I got rid of the Nathan HPL pack to run cooler.  I only took one water bottle as that was all I had.  This was a problem as the coming miles back to San Ysidro were searing in comparison to prior year races. 

I arrived at San Ysidro pretty worn out.  I tanked up on food and extra water, sat down for a few minutes and then I was off to tackle some more hills.  Once I got to the singletrack and the temperature dropped I came back alive.  At Gibraltar I picked up my other water bottle and did the run-walk thing up the pavement.  More walking than running.  I arrived at Tunnel Aid station with 55 minutes left before my predicted 8:30 finish time goal.  I had to book from there.  Climbing out of that canyon my abductor muscles spasmed just slightly.  A sign not to push the hills to hard and wait for the down hills.  I kept a close eye on my watch and put the hammer down.  It was going to be close.   I had to run up the last uphill and on to the pavement.   I finished with 10 seconds to spare. 

Hanging out with Chris, Sue and Jack my muscles finally let me know I had pushed hard enough by tightening up having me writhing in pain.  It looked like little gremlins were crawling inside my calfs just waiting to eat their way out.  Some Ultra Gen recovery drink and some seaweed soup settled me down.  Off to sushi for a post race protein-fest at the bottom of the hill on State Street.  So good to down the beer and mass quantities of Sushi. A great way to finish up my 7th running of this fine event. For the race stats and Google Earth link check out my file.

45. 12/2/2007 - OTHTC High Desert Ultra 50K 4:25:38 - 3192 feet of gain on sandy trails. 

20th overall out of 224 finishers, 9th in age group 40-49

Another fine race that I worked hard at to get close to my PR (3 minute off) but guess I started to push too late and that soup tasted so good.   No regrets!  I enjoyed talking to Mark, Luis, and the Bishop crowd on the trail.  Nice temperatures to run in.  My buddy Jack ran his second 50K and he should be proud of his race.  The event was followed by a get together at Rick's place for his birthday celebration.  Foot still swelling a bit but did not slow me down.   I wonder what's going on down there...  I really don't want to find out.  For the race stats and Google Earth link check out my file.

46. 1/16/2008 - Calico 50K Ultra    5:41:48 - 4,600 feet of gain on sandy and rocky trails, 11:01 pace 36th overall

Not a very good race.  I had been traveling all week on business and working horrendous hours.  No training and little rest.  The middle of the race was a battle.  They changed the course too.  Not sure if it was longer or what.  I also got off course on a winding section of the course.   Felt better on the last third of the race but had little motivation to push.  Nice time out there with friends and had great weather.  

47. 5/16/2008  - Bishop High Sierra 50 - 10:53:23 - 17th out of 80 finishers

A very hot day the took its toll on many runners including me.  Some Cantaloupe early in the race did not sit well and then popping electrolyte pills was easy in the beginning of the race but proved to be disastrous late in the race when I choked on one starting the reverse nutrition cycle in plain view of the RD's husband Andy..   "You OK down there Howard" he asked from the hillside at mile 35..  "Sure, just chocking on a pill and I feel better already".  The popsicle at the last aid station was worth stopping for and I did not care about the minutes lost savoring this treat. 

48. 7/11/2008 - Hardrock 100 - 42:18  - 34,000 feet of gain averaging over 11,000 feet in elevation - 53rd out of 98 finishers and 145 starters.

I had great event that challenged me.  I felt pretty good the whole race the the primary objective of just finishing.  Had Rick Miller and Jack Fierstadt pace me and they did an awesome job of keeping me motivated and moving.  Spending 2 weeks at altitude adjusting to the mountains and doing trail work was a great way to see the area and get to know the people.  I look forward to going back next year if I get selected through the lottery. Here are some photos:

Trail Marking

Trail work

Finish line

HR 100 Splits



Kamm Traverse 11.5mi  09:28-09:31

Chapman Gulch 18.9mi 11:55-12:02

Telluride 27.8mi 15:17-15:17

Kroger's Canteen 32.8mi 18:09-18:13

Governor's Basin 36mi  18:09-18:13

Ouray 43.9mi 19:02-19:06

Engineer 51.5mi 20:42-21:09

Grouse Gulch 58.4mi 00:58-01:09

Sherman 71.8mi  03:31-03:52

Pole Creek 80.9mi  09:31-09:52

Maggie Gulch 85.2mi 13:58-14:04

Cunningham Gulch 91.3mi 15:46-15:50

Silverton 100.5mi  18:52-19:08

49. Rose Valley 33 Mile Run - 6:37 - 8000+ feet of gain - 20th out of 88, 3rd in age group

This was the alternative location to the Santa Barbara Nine trails.  Luis Escobar working with the Coyotes from C4P and C2M, worked together to quickly change locations due to severe fire damage to the community of Santa Barbara and Montecito. A great location, fabulous weather and a fine run.  I felt pretty good until the last 7 miles where I had some stomach cramps.  My quads were worked after this race especially the long down hill on the Chip Seal Road to the finish in Rose Valley.  Post event social scene was a nice way to end the event with drinks and beef burgers cooked by Mr. Vegan Scott Jurek.  Motion based file here.

50. High Desert 50K - 4:12:02 - 12th overall out of 217 runners, 3rd in age group

This was a PR for me after running this race for 7 years.  Its amazing what a little time off and focus will do.  Also I was thankful to run with Rob McNair for the first 20 miles as we chatted and kept the pace.  Rob had to catch the other runners when I stopped at an aid station and that was the last I saw of him.  He reeled them in and took first in his age group.  Overall a great day on the trail.

51. Libyan Challenge - 52:35 - 1st American to finish this race. 37th finish overall 130 competitors 93 finishers

            This was an amazing adventure125 miles navigating with GPS only.  No course markings, 10 aid stations, carry all your gear.  75 hour max finish time

52. Coyote 2 Moon 100 Mile run - 29:23 - tied for 8th out of 42 finishers

            Good race for me.  I was surprised I was able to do this 2 weeks after the Libyan Challenge. 

53. 7/10/2009 - Hardrock 100 - 36:33  - 34,000 feet of gain averaging over 11,000 feet in elevation - 32nd out of 105 finishers and 140 starters.

HR 100 Splits

Runner Name - Rank


Cunningham Gulch 9.2mi 08:33-08:36

Maggie Gulch 15.3mi 10:42-10:43

Pole Creek 19.6mi 11:44-11:45

Sherman 28.7mi  14:01-14:04

Grouse Gulch 42.1mi 18:32-18:36

Engineer 48.6mi 20:44-20:47

Ouray 56.6mi 23:05-23:27

Governor's Basin 64.5mi 02:24-02:36

Virginius Pass 67.7mi 04:33-04:42

Telluride 72.7mi 06:21-06:30

Chapman Gulch 82.4mi 10:51-10:55

Kamm Traverse 89.0mi 14:06-14:11

Putnam 17:04-17:05

Silverton 18:33

  This was an improvement from the last I ran HR in the other direction.  I shaved close to 6 hours from my finish time.  

As endurance athletes we tend to analyze, reflect and judge. adjust, improve, repeat. This helps me and maybe could help some of your clients... Anyways... HR went really well for me this year. First I got to Silverton 10 days before the race but unlike last year where I was bagging 13,000 foot passes 3 days before the race, I got more rest this time beginning 5 days before the race. I passed on the trail work parties that usually required a good 12 hour day, drank less beer (not sure the effect of this one) and slept in later.
During the race I started out slow and I really took it easy on the down hills saving my quads. Last year I hammered them into mush by the time I got to Cunningham (mile 90ish). I had Jack pace me this year from Grouse to Telluride. We swapped leads throughout the night. Ascending Virginius pass at 4AM up hard snow slopes bat-manning the 9mil rope was fun. This was a new experience for Jack so I waited or him at Kroegers Canteen while sipping on soup. The run down into Telluride was memorable. As dawn approached we dropped into the aspen forest. The forest was alive with the sound of birds chirping and woodpeckers hammering on all sides. The breeze was refreshing and my quads were feeling good weaving through the singletrack. We arrived in Telluride too early for the bacon and eggs. ...I was bummed but had to keep moving.

My plan was to swap pacers at this point. Jack was ready to turn over the pacing duties to Maria (20-something and just getting into ultras).. However, she was late. I took off without her. She caught me an hour later just below Wasatch Saddle. I took it easy going down Oscar Pass because 9 days earlier I hammered down this thing with PURPOSE and had sore quads for 3 days.
Then on to Grant Swamp Pass. Maria pushed me on the uphills and I was much stronger going up than down.. At this point it was time to see what I had left in my quads... We ran most of the way to KT... Pre-running this section the prior week was good for my mental condition. I could visualize the course and my pace so I could gauge the energy needed to move swiftly on the Kamm Traverse.
The next section had relentless uphills and my climbing abilities were still quite good. I had my pacer climb within 10-15 feet ahead of me and followed most foot placements therefore conserving energy and keeping a solid center of gravity without searching for a line up this relentless slope. Once we hit the Putnam Aid station I was smelling the barn. We passed a number of runners in this section. The trail went from rocky to sweeping pine-needle soft curves... more speed...

As I crossed the river I was told that one of my cabin mates (also in the over 50 category) was just ahead.... I was a shark smelling blood... I said to Maria.."let's get 'em" We ran up the hill to the flats just before the "Nute Chute" . My pacer was a good 15 feet ahead doing what felt like 7:30 pace. I saw the runners ahead. I shifted into overdrive, and said to Maria "on your left" as I passed her wide-eyed on the rocky double track.. I passed my friend and pacer like they were standing still and said a few words of encouragement. "Come-on Devon, let's finish this thing". I did not look back but asked Maria a minute later " Do you see them?" .... She said, "no sign of anyone" I eased up the pace as we got to the road to the Shrine... My pacer spotted another runner and his pacer... "Howard, more runners, let's go" I said "Wait, we will stay out of sight on the curves and get closer before we hammer.." The other runners saw us a few minutes later and continually looked over their shoulders. We were closing in on them. They topped out before us and started running. We started running immediately despite another 30 yards of uphill. They turned down the singletrack into town. I had to catch them.. I went into a full blown downhill sprint including windmilling with my arms at the end. As we hit the dirt road I held back to see what he had left... not much...I caught him and said.. Let's finish this together with an energetic stride. He declined so I just kept going at my pace. Turned the final corner among the cheers, kissed the rock, done.

A few things that I think helped:
1. Taking it slower earlier in the race and not getting caught up in the ego of keeping up with some folks
2. Keeping the calories burning by ingesting half a turkey sandwich at Chapman A/S and then eating half a hammer bar and 6 gels in the last 10 miles along with Heed (one 24 oz per hour) Last year I was severely calorie deprived at the end of the race because I ran out of gels.
3. My quads were mildly worked so I tested them in areas of good footing where I could get longer strides and slowly worked them into good running shape. Once I felt I could "stretch them out" I worked on a faster cadence and they responded nicely.

54. 11/28/2009 - Red Rock 40 9:24 - 24th overall out of 53 finishers

Not a good race.. was recovering from some sickness and had major stomach cramps in the last 10 miles.  Felt like a slug on the return from Romero and got multi-chicked... nice view but humbling.

55. 4/25-5/1/2010 Racing the Planet Australia - 13th overall 1st in Age Group 50-59

An amazing experience..  Pictures tell the story  Part 1, Part 2, Part3

56. 9/26-27/2010 Bear 100 - 28:55 45th out of 142 finishers

A great location and views on this course with the changing Fall colors was stunning.  Came to the race the day before and met old friends at check-in.  Super low key race briefing and had a great dinners at a local Italian place north of Logan.  This course starts out with a steep climb. and just keep on giving... Up, down, up down... repeat.    The last 8 miles of down hill was steeper and rockier than expected.  I finished in 28:55.  My goal was to break 30 and then if I broke 29 that was icing on the cake.  I got lost twice and wasted a good 40 minutes looking for trail marking.  not a very well marked course but I think they like it that way.

57. 11/27/2010 Red Rock 40 - 8:55 - 20th place out of 78 finishers

Started this race with a recovering rolled ankle.  I rolled my right ankle on a training run coming down from Topa Topa 4 weeks earlier.  I rehabbed this slowly and even did the Halloween training run on the RR40 course with trekking poles.  I ran the race without the poles but was tentative on the down hills.  The trip back from the Romero turnaround was enjoyable.  First because I had 1/2 of Bill Kee’s famous burritos.  Chris and Sue ran the Romero Aid Station complete with libations and a life size Palin (the dancing variety) for a quick photo. Once I hit the top of the Camino Cielo climb it was off to the races.  I worked this section of the course and pushed the pace all the way to the end.  I finished about 30 minutes faster than the last time on this course but still feel I could do better if I had a better ankle.  The trip home carpooling with Eric I was hungry and realized I had the other half of Bill’s Burrito... It tasted so good....

  1. 58.4/30/2011 Leona Divide 50 miler - 9:27:59 - 64th out of 231 finishers

OK day, not the best. new course that I did not like. Had chest pains on the hill down to the turn around.  Scared me so took it easy.

  1. 59.11/26/2011  Santa Barbara Red Rock 50 miler - 13:17:00  21 out of 63 finishers

Took a wrong turn in the last 2 miles.  Lost lots of time looking for the trail in the river.  Would have finished much better without the fuck up..

  1. 60.1/14/2012 - HURT 100K - 23:42

To my demise I did not take this race seriously enough to finish it.  One of my 2 lifetime DNFs.  Next time: will not take the phone, tweek or FB, will plan nutition, will not eat hummus from the aid station, will not race a non-runner up hogs back, will pay attention to my splits.   I WILL BE BACK TO EVEN THE SCORE.

  1. 61.4/28/2012  Leona Divide 50 miler - 10:44:08

Ugly day.  Under trained and stomach went south.  I did not take my electrolytes and paid for it with serious cramps in both calves. 

  1. 62.Racing the Planet Jordan - 4th in my age group, 24th our of 131 finishers

Great race in a historic location.
pics here
  1. 63.6/9/2012  San Diego 100 miler - 25:33:31 - 40th out of 131 finishers

Overall, at least when it was over a good race.  Had some difficulties coming out of Pine Creek Aid Station climbing the road. Came back after it cooled down a bit. Freezing cold at the Sweetwater aid station and shivered for at least 20 minutes on the trail until I warmed up.  Thanks to Jack for pacing me part of the way.
I will be back for this one...
  1. 64.9/8/2012  Plain 100 miler - 34:45:00   10th overall, 29 starters 10 finishers 
    Plain is like no other 100 miler in that there are no course markings, only one aid station and the SAR people at the checkpoints will not tell you directions.  This is truly a self supported but still has a margin of safety needed for an organized event.  The mileage is understated and it actually runs between 106 and 108 miles.  Once the race started at 5AM the pack quickly spread out with a handful of fast people taking off on the short out and back run to the Thousand Trails recreation center, then back up the hill and we passed our cars at Deep Creek Campground at mile 3 and continued on the FS road.  Up and up to Maverick Saddle and then down to Mad River. I got some water here by just dunking the bottles and threw a tablet in there to purify it just in case.  Probably did not need it.  A quick left turn that would be easy to miss with your head down and the climbing really started up a narrow almost game trail.  Rocky in some sections we climbed and then came to Lost Lake..  An easy place to get lost so I teamed up with another runners and we figured out where to go.  It also helps to follow the foot prints as the front runners had completed the course numerous times.

    On we travelled on rolling hills with a few intersections that required me to check the map.   Then on to Klone Peak for a steady climb.  A short out and back to the peak and I ran into 3 other runners coming back.  They would soon catch me it I did not get moving faster.  Coming off a Klone Peak was very hot and steep with countless switchbacks and I was running low on water.  As I turned a corner there was a flowing stream... more like an oasis among the rocky descent.  I filled up without tablets and continued.  I could see the road below but it was still a long way.  I popped out of the forest and saw Chris and Tom the RDs taking pictures.  They said I looked good but RDs are great liars but I did give them a woop woop and continued to the checkpoint a few hundred yards below. 

    Another runner was there with ice on his knee.  He was don and had a LONG wait to get back to hi car in Deep Creek.  This next section has the only paved road and I took it easy here as not to blow out my quads or overstride.  Water crossed the road a few times and afforded me the chance to fill up.  Then down to a critical junction that got lots of discussion at the race briefing but it was obvious.. go down and left...  Powdery soil for 1.2 miles and then I was at the Entiat River.  The trail was well above the river but I dipped down and filled up only to see another runner pass me as I was heading back up the hill.  I should not have stopped here but waited another mile where a bridge crossed a great little stream.  They told us about this I just mistook the location.  I climbed under the bridge and filled up with water.  Another runner was there with me and she did the same.  I devoured my fresh raw avocado as fuel for the next climb.  The climb to Signal Peak and beyond was super steep.  I pulled out my poles and they were worth their weight going up that pitch. Alex and Dennis from VHTRC caught up with me and we hiked and ran together.  they outpaced me but they kept stopping and I caught them each time.  We were all running out of water and rationing as we went.  We were looking for Cougar Creek and we still had a few miles of rocky switchbacks to go before we got there.  Finally we hit the stream and we all filled up, ate some food and got hiking and running again.  After a short section we got to a stream crossing and a road.  Not clear where we had to go but I followed and it was correct.  this next section was a good climb and a lush trail up to Maverick Saddle where we met SAR.  We had just completed a loop and had another 6 miles back to the starting line at Deep Creek. 

    Heading down this trail was slow for me and I keep hearing thunder and seeing lightning in the distance.  Rain droplets hit me intermittently but it was clear the storm was coming our way.  We got down to the road 3 miles from Deep Creek and the rain increased.  Alex and Dennis were just in front of me and told me to watch out for the snake.  That got me motivated and I ran to see what i was.. A Rubber Boa.. totally cool critter.  Arriving at Deep Creek my plans to boil water and have some freeze dried meal changed since some volunteers had grilled Cheese and ham along with some Tomato Basil Soup..It was excellent.. Then the rain started with intensity.  I had just changed my shirt and got on some rain pants.. I retreated to my car..  Sitting in my car with my knees in my chest my stomach went south.. Lets just say I managed to keep most of the food down.  The rain abated a bit after 45 minutes in the aid station so it was time to make my escape.  Patagonia Gortex top and bottom and I when to the trail head passing Alex and Dennis in their car.  I encouraged them to join me but they were still sizing up the storm.  up the trail I went but in the first 50 feet realized I left one water bottle in the car.  Without a crew to remind you of something so basic i realized again my need for self reliance and got refocused on the task at hand.

    I had scouted out this next section of trail so I was moving pretty good.  I shed my gortex within 30 minutes of the Aid station but now had a heavy pack of wet clothes that would weigh me down for the rest of the night an day.  I arrived at Alder Creek Check Point where SAR volunteers were still under plastic to protect from the rain.  About this time Van Pham caught up to me and we stayed together for the next few hours as dawn approached.  Some steep climbing and I pushed to being able to keep pace with Van.  She is a very strong runners and was on her last leg of the Washington Slam of FIVE 100 milers.  She had the fastest cumulative time for the Slam for 2012.

    I met the RDs t the top of Chickmen Tie and moved quickly through the checkpoint.  The next section was quite remote and very rocky as I traversed talus slopes and ascended to another high point on the course.  As I looped around to Marble Meadow anther runner passed me.  Lots of super steep and rock switchbacks was then followed by a road.  This section pissed me off in that i was at 6200 feet and was to loose 400 feet of elevation but the trail kept on going UPHILL.. What was with this shit?  I started doing the math in my head and was concerned about making the cutoff especially no knowing exactly how much farther the road would take these uphill turns.  I eventually get in to the Alder Creek Drainage and to my surprise the SAR Checkpoint was right there.  At this point I know I only had 7 miles to go and plenty of time.  I ran the down hills and walk the uphills.. More up than down I worked up a sweat and started seeing and hear cars on the FS road below.  I must be close...Indeed I was and I ran down the trail to see someone taking a video.. It was Greg and I had totally forgot he and Jenn were coming.  I was so happy to see them...So I finished in 34:34 with plenty of time to spare.  I was DFL and then found out I was also top ten.  How funny..  Lots of DNFs on this race.  The RDs congratulated me and told me how exceptional the conditions were this year that I was lucky to have the experience.  After a rest in a chaif for a few minutes I got to pick out my Plain 100 Rock. 

    Overall a great event.  As I write this one week after the race I am reconsidering my statement to never do this again.  With course knowledge and setting expectations, this event could bring me back for another fine time out on the trails.

  1. 65.HURT 100 Miler - timed out

Another DNF at HURT.  I shed the devices this year and took it a bit more seriously but failed to have the discipline to keep moving.  Got my 100K but no recognition for the shorter distance this year.  It was too easy to pull this year as I lacked the fire in the belly and the calories as well.. I have come to dislike repeating loop courses.  IT is like a recurring dream that I just want to get over with and move on but lack the ability to change it.. Think I am over this race and will move on to other courses that are more motivating.  I prefer point to point or races that do not repeat sections. 

  1. 66.11/25/2012 Red Rock 50 13:39  42nd overall

A tough race that had me crawling with chest pains going back up Cold Springs Trail.  Not sure what was going on but it subsided.  I do like this course and hope to find the legs to improve on this slog.

  1. 67.8/3/2013 Angeles Crest 100 36th out of 98 starters 28:23:15  36th overall
    PR’ed ... go figure.... 

  1. 68.2/1/2014 Sean O’Brien 50M  10:22:53  80th overall

  2. 69.8/2/1014 Angeles Crest 30:19  65th overall

  3. 70.Racing the Planet - Madagascar - 37:48:09 44th overall

  4. 71.2/7/2015 Sean O’Brien 100K  13:35:26  51st overall

  5. 72.3/28/2015 Santa Barbara 35 mile 9:20:06  17th overall
    Thought I had this in the bag then had a meltdown on the final big climb in the heat up Rattlesnake Canyon... Choked on electrolyte pills and it was all downhill from there.   Massive quad cramps and calf cramps followed.   I recovered by putting salt under my tongue essentially mainlining it into my blood stream... Finished without the pain but slower than expected.

  6. 73.5/16/2015 Born to Run 30 mile -  4:42:45  27th overall, 2nd in my age group
    Finally made it to Born to Run.. Luis doe put on an extravaganza... Paced Manley in the 200 mile run for 10 miles finishing at about 11:30 PM the night before then was awakened by shotgun blasts and Mexican Salsa Music at 4:30 AM.  6AM start and we were off.  Overall a good race for me as I felt I get stronger later in the race and felt fine after the finishing.

  7. 74.6/6/2015 - San Diego 100 Miler - 27:07:44 72nd overall - Overall a good race and a tougher course. Had some setbacks around mile 25 when I tripped twice hitting the dirt running the PCT to Pioneer Mail 1. Took it easy through the heat and started moving up in the race from mile 50 on where I was in 100th place an finished 72nd. Lots of friends at aid stations and enjoyed the sounds of gobbling wild turkeys, and sights of bounding deer at dawn as I approached Chambers at mile 88.  Sore today but considering I started the race with the shittiest nights sleep ever and waking up with an ice-pick-in-my-right-eye-migraine and throwing up BEFORE I even got to the start line, and not in the race itself, I am considering it a great day..  Props to Scotty Mills for another high class event.

  8. Start               0      --:--       06:00am --:--            --:----:----

  9. Paso Picacho 17.107:29am--:--01:29:0012:3212:32116

  10. Chambers 112.608:34am--:--02:34:0012:1311:4997

  11. Pedro Fages18.609:41am--:--03:41:0011:5211:0988

  12. Sunrise 1           23.310:44am--:--04:44:0012:1113:2490

  13. Pioneer Mail 130.512:34pm--:--06:34:0012:5515:16100

  14. Penny Pines 134.501:32pm--:--07:32:0013:0614:3099

  15. Todd's Cabin39.703:05pm--:--09:05:0013:4317:5399

  16. Red Tail Roost44.804:25pm--:--10:25:0013:5715:41100

  17. Meadows51.2--:----:----:----:----:----

  18. Penny Pines 256.407:32pm--:--13:32:0014:2316:0788

  19. Pine Creek64.109:38pm--:--15:38:0014:3816:2186

  20. Pioneer Mail 272.200:42am--:--18:42:0015:3222:4288

  21. Sunrise 2           79.403:09am--:--21:09:0015:5820:2476

  22. Chambers 288--:----:----:----:----:----

  23. Paso Picacho 293.107:14am--:--25:14:0016:1517:5277

  24. Finish          100.209:07am--:--27:07:4416:1416:0172

Back to Howard's Home Page